Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Legacy of My Grandfather

At our opening day inservice on Monday, the focus of my speech to all faculty and staff was on "Building Your Legacy." I tried to reinforce the amazing power each and every teacher holds in the palm of her hand to influence her students for better or worse. I discussed how each and every student in a teacher's class will remember her forever...for better or worse. There is no other profession that has this incredible power right in the palm of their hands on a daily basis. It is an amazing responsibility that can sometimes be a little scary.

On the same day I delivered this message to my staff, I also found out that my nearly 95 year old grandfather had just passed away. He was an important part of my life from a young age, so his loss was very difficult for me. I grew up only five miles from his house, and as a child, it felt like I was at my grandparents house nearly everyday for something. He also had a camping lot on Lake Taylorville, and every holiday and summer memory with my family seems to have taken place there. He was also an avid old car collector, with anywhere between 10 and 13 vintage cars at any one time. His favorite was his 1925 Ford Model T, which is the same model he used to drive to high school. He salvaged most of them and spent years fixing them up so he could drive them. He didn't believe in having an antique car that you couldn't drive. As a result, my grandpa driving his old cars was a common site in my hometown of Assumption, IL. Now that I have survived both the wake and his funeral, I have had a chance to reflect on how the life he led is so similar to the message I shared with teachers on opening day.

At his funeral, I was asked to speak on behalf of the family. In celebrating his life, I focused on three salient characteristics that I believe accurately depicted his persona. First, he was a kind and gentle man. I don't remember him ever saying anything derogatory about anyone. In fact, I don't ever remember him raising his voice out of anger. Even as he got older and couldn't physically do the things he once could, he never once complained. He did not want to be a burden to him family, even though any of us would have done anything for him.

Secondly, he was generous. When most people think of generosity, they think of it in monetary terms. Although grandpa was generous in that way too, more importantly, he was generous with his time. He always had time for others, and especially for his family. I could call him on any summer afternoon or weekend to go water skiing at the lake, and I new he would come driving over in his Galaxy 500 to pick me up. He not only taught his grandkids to water ski, but he taught many of my high school friends as well. He understood that his time was a gift he should share with others.

Finally, he understood the importance of maintaining balance in his life. He knew when it was time to work, and he worked very hard. He also knew when it was time to play, and he played hard as well. However, no matter whether he was working or playing, he always strived to do everything with excellence. When he farmed as a young man, he wanted to be the best. Later in life when he turned the farm over to my dad, he started an insurance agency, and made it a thriving success. When he collected old cars, he worked to make his cars the envy of other collectors. When he spent time with family, he always made sure we felt loved and secure. No matter what he did, he did it with dignity, humility and excellence.

So how does all this relate to my opening day message to staff about "Building Your Legacy". My grandfather understood that it's not what you make that makes someone important. The true measure of a person is the difference he makes to others. My grandpa was able to make a difference to those he touched, which was obvious from the outpouring of support at his wake. However, although he lived until nearly 95, his chosen professions limited the number of lives he could touch. As educators, we have the ability to "Build Our Legacies" by touching the lives of hundreds and hundreds of students during our careers. If we could all remember my grandfather's lessons of kindness, generosity and excellence, think of the lives we could touch and the legacy we could build.

Rest in peace grandpa.

1 comment:

  1. Great perspective. As I mentioned to you in my brief email, your grandfather was always seen as a role model for many. Thanks for sharing this private event.

    From - the first-time skier.

    ReplyDelete